Sunday, November 27, 2011

So Much to Do, So Little Time

First, let me say thank you all for the nice sentiments left in the comments on YOF's post about my birthday.  And thank you, Mayberry, for the birthday wishes you left on the last post on my blog.  Yes, as KX59 pointed out on YOF's blog, 'a birthday post on HB’s blog (was) noticeably absent.'    I don't think one should announce one's own birthday.  It seems inappropriate somehow.  Maybe that's just me.  But I had a very nice birthday, even if I am 'Captain Kangaroo' old now.  It started out with YOF letting me sleep in and ended with him taking me out for a burger and back home for a movie on Netflix.  In between rolling out of bed two hours late and getting taken out for the evening meal, I had a few cards in the mail, several phone calls and a great many comments and well wishes on Facebook and the blogs.  I've always been a little uncomfortable with being the focus of attention so tend to enjoy everyone else's birthdays much more than my own.  But this birthday was just nice.  It was very quiet which was very nice, so thank you all. 

Now, today ...life goes back to normal.  Along with the usual laundry and housework that I do on Sundays, I need to devote some serious effort to organizing my office because it will be the center of our little Christmas celebration this year.  We found out yesterday that our grandsons that just moved back to Houston will get to spend a few days with us this Christmas.  My daughter and her family are driving over Christmas Day also and it will be the first time the grandsons get to meet their cousin, Isabelle.  I will have a house full of grandkids at Christmas and I can't think of a better way to spend the holiday.  It's been a long time since we had overnight guests and we've never had quite this many at one time.  So much to do, so little time.  But having all my grands here for the holidays will make it the best Christmas ever for me.  

I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are looking forward to a joyous Christmas with your family and loved ones. 

13 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to you. I am the same way about attention. It is fine focused on someone else but not me.

    What a wonderful blessing to have all the grandchildren during the holiday! It is family that really makes any holiday if you ask me. After spending Thanksgiving with my parents we drove 2 1/2 hours to be with our adult children and grandchildren over night. It was good to go to sleep knowing we were all under the same roof.

    -Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Genevieve. The more things you have, the more you can be weighed down in this world ...the more family and friends you have, the more you are lifted up. Even when we lose precious loved ones, the ones that remain become that much more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful and exciting that you will have all your grand-kids for Christmas. :)

    I'm glad your birthday was a good one HB.

    Love and Hugs
    ~Fel~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty great, huh, Fel? It's the best Christmas present I could have wished for.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will have a wonderful time with your grandchildren visiting. Don't worry, things will fall into place and you'll get everything done that matters. Have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday :-) And enjoy the kids at Christmas...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rose... you're right, the stuff that matters will get done and what doesn't get done, doesn't matter!

    @Old NFO... Aw, thanks! I just need to make sure Yeoldfurt gets plenty of downtime before the kiddos get here so he'll be up to all the chaos for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well shucks, I missed your birthday, so, happy birthday young lady. May the good Lord bless you and extend you many more fine days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No problem, Stephen ...late doesn't matter. Besides, you get bonus points for referring to me as 'young lady' ...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

    Next time you're in Houston, which to get here from where you are, you would have to drive through my area, maybe you can stop and I'll take ya to lunch or dinner or something!

    Sounds like the birthday was nice and just what it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Southern Belle...
    I almost never make it all the way to Houston, but if I do, I'll let you know ahead of time. It would be great to meet for lunch!

    When I pick up the grandsons, I rendezvous with their mom at the McD's in Waller ...never can remember the name of the road or exit but it's the cut off on 290 to Magnolia which is where the boys lives now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Craftivist...
    Thanks ...birthdays are mostly just another day to me, but it's a nice bonus when they fall on a four day weekend.

    : )

    ReplyDelete