Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Who Are We Kidding?

I don't know anyone who likes Daylight Savings Time.  But I know quite a few people who are very vocal about the fact that they don't like it.   I know, I know ...there was a method to the madness when it was first implemented.  It was the brainchild of none other than Benjamin Franklin who believed it would allow us to take advantage of more natural daylight cycles and thereby save candles.  At the time old Ben came up with the idea, people used mostly blankets and sometimes a stove to keep warm at night and they opened their windows to cool the house on a hot afternoon.  These days, central air and heat is the norm.  At least one study (http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/new-economy/2010/0313/Wait!-Daylight-Saving-Time-will-cost-me-money)  claims that daylight savings time costs individual states millions of dollars in higher utility consumption and associated pollution costs.  

I received the following in an email from a friend today.  I think it explains the value (or not) of Daylight Savings Time perfectly. 

2 comments:

  1. Well we finally found a subject that we disagree on. I love daylight savings time. The time in the evening is when I garden and do yard work. It gets me off my ass and out in the yard. I work during the day so early don't work for me at home. This is not bad though,we agree on several hundred other things. FK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, FK...

    We're still at 99.9 percent I'd say. That ain't so bad!!

    : )

    ReplyDelete