Sunday, October 10, 2010

Slow Sunday

Yeoldfurt let me sleep in Saturday while he was wrangling fence in the back pasture.  By the time I was up and coherent and got a big jug of tea ready to take down to him, he was finished and on his way back to the house.  It was late morning and he had already accomplished the biggest project on his list.  So we sat on the tailgate in the driveway for a few minutes deciding what to do with the rest of the day. 

I'm definitely on the mend, just not very energetic yet so he suggested we go into town for lunch and then just take it easy the rest of the day.  If I was up to snuff, there would have been any number of more exciting things to do ...but I'm not ...yet it sounded like a great idea to me.  We had lunch at the local burger joint in town and were back at the house by 2:00.  We wiled away the rest of the afternoon doing not much of anything else and wrapped up the day with an easy supper of chicken noodle soup. Yeoldfurt takes good care of me all the time but he really caters to me when I'm under the weather.  Gotta love a man that will do that. 

He left for work about 9:00 this morning and I'm whittling away at the household chores while he's gone.  I've got three loads of laundry washed, dried and folded ...the trick will be getting them all put away.  That always seems to be where I get snagged.  Sometimes clean clothes live in the laundry basket until they're used.  Sad, but true.  At least they're clean though, right?  I got some rearranging done in my office and am dusting and vacuuming from one end of the house to the other.  I changed the air filter for the a/c too.  I'm pretty sure I just have an old fashioned head cold and not allergies, but dust aggravates everything a clean filter is logical.  I'd really rather be outside, but too many chores inside would be left undone.  I did take the dog and walk to the back of the pasture a little while ago to admire the fence repairs Yeoldfurt finished up on Saturday.  The tree that had fallen on the fence line was an old oak from the neighbor's pasture.  There is a silver lining to the mishap though.  A lot of the  deadwood ended up on our side of the fence and we'll cut it up for firewood later.  Firewood like fine wine, only gets better with age ...right? 

The chickens are slacking off again.  One egg yesterday and only two today.  For three hens, that's just lazy.  We have decided to increase the flock to four birds anyway and will be getting half a dozen chicks in the spring to raise up.  If these three hens aren't careful, they'll end up in the freezer when the new chicks start laying.  In the meantime, we're rigging up a timer in the coop to turn the fluorescent lights on at 4am in the there.  We'll set them to be on from 4am to 7am, extending the 'daylight' conditions for the hens to about 13 hours.  Hopefully, that will get them motivated! 


  1. Hi! Stopping in from Brigid's blog... I had fun reading through your archives, so I'll be back!

  2. sorry to hear you are under the weather, must be going around...hubby has a terrible head cold right now. Nothing makes it better, just time. Thanks so much for visiting today and for the nice compliment about my playlist. I love music too and can't help but post my favorites. Danny Wright is playing right now...we love his original music. I did a post recently on why I like such a huge array of music, I blame it on Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour!

  3. Have a safe trip and enjoy that grandbaby!