Instead of making one big sheet of leather, I made 'cookies' approximately three inches in diameter. I used a tablespoon to dip the applesauce out of the jar, then spread it as evenly as possible with the back of the spoon. This is the before picture. I'll post an after picture this evening ...along with a taste test review.
In the meantime, Yeoldfurt and I have some saddle time planned for this morning. We've learned from experience to prioritize carefully on our days off. The first thing on the to-do list always gets accomplished ...the second thing usually gets accomplished. Anything further down the list has a fifty-fifty chance of not happening for one reason or another. Number One on the list today is some long overdue time in the saddle. Number Two (not as much fun) is the never-ending chore of fence maintenance. The leather cookies were just a wild hair I had while I was waiting for the sun to come up. It took five minutes to set them up in the dehydrator and now they're on auto-pilot. An easy bonus to whatever else we manage to accomplish today.